This Detox Turmeric Lentil Soup is a simple, Detox healing plant-based soup. healthy and hearty meal that’s great for digestion and the liver. Easy to make, packed with protein and delicious! I love this savory, healing (loaded) lentil soup even in the midst of summer!
I do feel like the term “detox” has a bad connotation in the health world, but we’re calling this a detox-friendly soup because it’s packed with ingredients that support your body’s natural detoxification system.
You see, our bodies are pretty darn amazing (if you didn’t already know). We have systems inside of us that naturally flush out unwanted junk that we’re consuming. Our body knows what it’s doing, but that doesn’t mean we can’t help it do its job even better, right?
So that’s what we’re doing with this Detox Turmeric Lentil Soup. We’re supporting our bodies with wholesome, nutrient-dense food that will make us feel amazing!
Let’s take a peek at what we have inside this glorious golden soup:
1. Lentils: Not only are they super high in protein (11g per serving), but they’re also high in fiber which is important for our digestive system. Our digestive system is responsible for absorbing the good nutrients in our food and getting rid of unwanted waste, so when we eat food (like lentils), we’re helping our digestive system do its job more effectively. PS: Check out this post for 10 reasons why lentils are amazing!
2. Turmeric: The active component in turmeric that is so great for detox (and gives it that amazing golden color) is curcumin. Curcumin has been shown to not only help reduce inflammation, but also support, and even enhance, the production of bile in the gallbladder. Bile not only helps the liver flush out toxins, but it also rejuvenates liver cells!
3. Sweet Potato: One of the things we love about sweet potatoes, aside from their flavor, is how high they are in fiber! Again that supports our digestive system, but fiber is also key for the liver. One more reason to love sweet potatoes? They’re also high in antioxidants which helps to liver do its thang!
4. Garlic: These little cloves of goodness aren’t just there to flavor our food! Garlic has also been shown to have healing properties including supporting a healthy immune system. But in terms of detox, garlic is super high in Vitamin C and antioxidants, both of which help support the liver and kidneys as they are working to flush toxins from our bodies!
And these are just a few of the amazing ingredients in this turmeric lentil soup!
I can’t wait for you to try this soup! Not only is it cozy and hearty, but it’s also super high in protein and fiber, and has a gorgeous yellow color. It’s a show stopper if you ask me! Don’t be shut off by the list of ingredients, it truly takes 10 minute to make!
How to make the Detox Turmeric Lentil Soup
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Calories: 338 | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 444mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 6g
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped turnip or potato
- 2 1/2 cups chopped sweet potato
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 – 2 tablespoons turmeric I like 2
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup (unsweetened/plain) almond milk
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup fresh herbs I like parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Make it LOADED: Cube up 2 sweet potatoes or just buy a package from Trader Joe’s! I also add 3 cups of spinach for the loaded version.
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven. Add onions, celery, turnip, potato, and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes until everything softens slightly. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, turmeric, ginger, and cumin and saute for 1 – 2 minutes, then add the broth and water. Bring the soup to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond milk, spinach, herbs, lemon, and pepper flakes until spinach has wilted. Serve immediately!