You all know I am crazed for sweet potatoes and black beans — anyway and any time for any meal! This chili marries them perfectly. This One Pot Vegan Meal is perfect, easy, fast, and total YUM factor!
It’s literally five ingredients, and you might have most of them in your cupboard right now: onions, black beans, sweet potatoes, veggie stock, and salsa.
That’s it! Just 5-ingredient sweet potato black bean chili that comes together in less than 1 hour! Easy, delicious, super healthy, plant-based (vegan) and so satisfying! Throw in whatever spices you have to amp up the flavor. You can serve over rice, spiralized noodles, in a wrap, or in a bowl (duh!)
I’ve also included a few optional spices to amp up the flavor, as well as a few topping ideas if you’re into that (hand raised, very high). In a pinch, this is the perfect, healthy weeknight meal or make-ahead dish to take for lunches throughout the week.
If your taste buds like Savory, Naturally sweet, Slightly smoky, Soul warming, Satisfying Healthy & Quick… this is going to become one of your go-to’s too!
I made a batch and then froze several servings in mason jars to reheat throughout the week when I’m feeling particularly lazy (or cold). My favorite toppings include hot sauce, red onion, avocado, and a few tortilla chips. Who am I kidding? All of the chips (MY DOWNFALL).
- 1 medium yellow or white onion (diced // coconut or olive oil)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (scrubbed clean + chopped into bite-sized pieces // organic when possible // 3 potatoes yield ~4 cups)
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa (chunky is best)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans (with salt // if unsalted, add more salt // slightly drained)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce
FOR SERVING (optional)
- Fresh cilantro
- Chopped red onion
- Guac / Avocado
- Lime juice
- In a large pot over medium heat, sweat onions in 1 Tbsp oil and season with a healthy pinch each salt and pepper (amounts as original recipe is written // use more or less if altering batch size). Stir and continue cooking on medium heat until translucent and soft.
- Add sweet potato and any desired spices at this time (I went for chili, cinnamon, cumin, and chipotle powder – all are optional). Cook for 3 minutes. Then add salsa, water, and vegetable stock.
- Bring mixture to a low boil on medium-high heat and then lower heat to medium-low and simmer. Add black beans, cover and cook for at least 20 minutes more, preferably 30 – or until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender and the soup and thickened. This soup is at its best when prepared the night before or allowed to rest for a few hours so the flavor marries with the vegetables and beans.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, onion, avocado, and/or lime juice. Chips make an excellent spoon.
Serving: 1 serving
Calories: 213 Carbohydrates: 47 g Protein: 6.8 g Fat: 0.6 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg. Sodium: 611 mg. Fiber: 9.1 g Sugar: 4.4 g
(HINT: To get lower sodium to opt for low sodium veggie broth as well as substitute water for broth altogether)