Inflammation is the body’s attempt at self-protection; the aim being to remove harmful stimuli, including damaged cells, irritants, or pathogens – and begin the healing process.
When something harmful or irritating affects a part of our body, there is a biological response to try to remove it, the signs and symptoms of inflammation, specifically acute inflammation, show that the body is trying to heal itself.
Inflammation does not mean infection, even when an infection causes inflammation. Infection is caused by a bacterium, virus or fungus, while inflammation is the body’s response to it.
The signs of inflammation:
Looking at the list below, you can see why it’s sometime hard to pinpoint the REASON for the inflammation, and why docs like to give a “global” medicine to stop the problem. But, what they are stopping is the effects of the inflammation, and NOT the source.
Working with a knowledgeable and experienced Health Coach can change your life! How many times have we run to get topical ointment or the dermatologist prescribes an antibiotic for acne! It’s 80-90% something to do with the GUT! Some simple tweaks and joints, acne, sleeplessness, irritability, food cravings and more can be reversed!!!
Yup, inflammation is linked to everything from bloating to joint pain to sinus congestion and skin rashes. Although an assessment is an easier way to determine for sure if you suffer from inflammation and help pinpoint the systemic origin.
TOP 12 Foods that cause inflammation:
1. What I call the “3 Ps”–Processed, packaged, or prepared foods. And, yes, fast food is atop the list of inflammatory foods thanks to the harmful oils, sugar and artificial sweeteners, food additives, and a whole host of nasty ingredients.
2. Hydrogenated and trans fats found in margarine, shortening, lard or products made with them. That includes baked goods, cookies, pies, buns. Of course there are healthier alternatives to these baked goods but most grocery stores and bakeries are using these harmful ingredients.
3. Meat (not wild-caught fish). I’m not suggesting that you have to go vegan or vegetarian here although a plant-based diet tends to be much lower in inflammatory substances but meat and poultry tend to cause inflammation so make them the background of your meals not the main dish.
4. Fried foods (French fries, onion rings, potato chips, nachos, hamburgers, etc.). I think these items speak for themselves – Duh, right?!!
5. White sugar and sweets, including soft drinks and sweetened juices. Newer research is showing that sugar is one of the most addictive substances you can use. It’s also highly inflammatory.
6. Synthetic sweeteners (Nutrasweet, Splenda, saccharin, aspartame, AminoSweet, etc.)—research links these nasty substances to many serious health conditions. I avoid them like the plague, our bodies simply don’t recognize them!
7. Iodized Salt (use Celtic Sea Salt or Himalayan salt ). Poison!
8. Food additives: colors, flavor enhancers, stabilizers, preservatives, etc. Some of the main ones include sulfites, benzoates, and colors named FD&C #”X.” Unfortunately, many foods consumed by children are loaded with these harmful, toxic ingredients, especially their snacks and candies. The TRICK is clearly in the TREAT!
9. Dairy products (yogurt, ice cream, cottage cheese, butter, cheese, etc.). The reasons dairy products are inflammatory are too lengthy to list here, but today’s dairy products are packed with hormones, antibiotics, and other harmful ingredients so avoid them as much as possible.
10. Wheat products. Wheat is highly acid-forming and inflammatory in the body. Worse, most wheat available now is genetically-modified (GM), meaning not useful to the body… actually harmful. Many serious health conditions are starting to be linked to GM wheat consumption.
11. Gluten-containing grains. Gluten is found in most grains and is highly inflammatory. Choose seeds like quinoa – a GREAT protein source.
12. Alcohol. High in sugar and a burden to the liver, alcohol makes the top 12 inflammatory foods list. It is best eliminated or used in moderation – hope we’re still friends. 🙂
Want to dig a little deeper? I will provide a 15 minute health consult! Just click the link below to get started.