I bet you have read or tried so many detox diets you are confused at which is truly beneficial or harmful. There seems to be an equal amount of warnings and recommendations for detoxing, which can make it confusing for the would-be detox dieter. As long as you use common sense, adapt a detox diet to your personal goals, and stay dedicated, there can be many benefits to detoxification. A detox program can be your gateway to a healthier life. Whatever your reason for starting a detox diet, whether it is losing weight or lowering stress, it is important to keep the positive changes long after the detox program is over.
Dr. Robert O. Young, Ph. D., creator of The New Biology, based on extensive nutritional microbiological work, says that “your health depends on the balance of an alkaline setting, created by eating foods such as avocados, tomatoes, and leafy green vegetables”, not to get into a complex scientific statement, but he also mentions that, “the optimum 80/20 balance and regulating your body’s acid vs. alkaline chemistry through simple changes in diet, will result in weight loss, increased stamina and a tougher immune system”.
When you set the stage for well-being, you are going to improve all areas of your life. Just this one change can help you build better relationships, be more productive at work or in your hobbies, and simply enjoy life to its full potential.
How are my detox programs different? I don’t like to focus on what to take out, only what to add in. I incorporate colorful whole foods into your diet and learn substitute for the unhealthy fats and sugars that are prevalent in many processed foods today.
During the detox, I address dietary changes, of course, but also lifestyle and relationship changes that are necessary for you to live a full-spectrum life.
Start simple with some yummy recipes I’ve include below. Try Intermittent fasting (I.F.). There are tons of ways to accomplish I.F., I like to choose one day per week and eat raw, juice and or lower my caloric intake (900-1000), which is usually 1600-2400, depending on the need i.e. workout, travel or event, like fitness competition or fitness modeling.
Here are some of the benefits you can expect by following a good detox program:
1. Release the body of any excess waste. The main purpose of detoxing is to stimulate the body to purge itself, allowing your body to get rid of any excess waste it’s been storing, including the liver, kidneys and colons. Most modern diseases are caused by the storing of waste in the body, which is why detoxifying is very important.
2. Amp up your immune system. When your body detoxifies, your immune and other bodily systems strengthens because they are clean, and free to function as they should. Your body is able to absorb nutrients better. When clients detox with my programs, I also focus on light exercises which help to circulate lymph fluid through the body and helps it to drain, strengthening your immune system in the process.
3. Boosts your energy. You will feel more energetic and lively when your body has flushed the wastes. During full detoxes you may experience flu-like symptoms during days 2-5. However, even cutting coffee out, which I highly recommend, can produce crazy headaches if you aren’t armed with the proper herbal support, such as activated charcoal (which is also GREAT for gassy and bloated gastric discomfort)
4. Release weight. For long-term weight loss, you must establish long-term eating habits, and rid yourself of unhealthy habits. If you are one to go on a drastic reduction in calories and rapid weight loss, you are more likely to gain all that weight back as soon as you stop. These short-term results won’t last if you don’t make it a point to replace bad food choices with good, and use your newfound energy to exercise more and be more active overall.
5. Better breath & Body odor. Believe it or not a backed up colon, the end of your digestive trail can lead to bad breath.
6. Improved skin. Your skin is your largest organ. Since detox programs improve your overall health, it makes sense that your skin benefits the most. Detox programs recommend going to a sauna to take a sauna to help the body sweat out additional toxins. It’s also been reported that detoxing can help with acne, although the condition may worsen before it gets better as the toxins are released.
7. Clearer thinking. A cleanse not only benefits your body, but it also strengthens the state of your mind and creates better conscious thoughts and lifting the fog on your focus. Meditation is a great way to relax your mind and lower your stress levels. While the detox is purging your body and cleansing it of toxins, don’t forget to focus on your mental health at the same time.
8. Promotes healthy changes. A full detox may take 6 weeks or so, but the changes it makes in your lifestyle are long term. I offer 3 day detoxes to help kick up some good habits, as well as 17 and 21 day programs to truly get thing moving. It helps eliminate addiction and cravings to sugar, caffeine, or fried or crunchy foods. If you cleanse the body and replace those foods with healthier choices, you can retrain mind and you’ll be more likely to stick to your new habits.
9. Healthier hair. A lot of herbs, vitamins and minerals you consume during a detox have a direct impact on making your hair healthier. If your hair is dry, brittle it could be a big indicator a detox program might be a great solution for not only you health, but your hair too!
10. Anti-aging benefits. The constant barrage of toxins that our bodies have to battle every day is a BIG contributor to the aging process, introducing free radicals and bad toxins in our body, from things like transfats, sugar and caffeine.
Sticking to a improved diet and getting daily activity are great ways to make sure that you feel good each moment of your life.
11. Lighter feeling. When you stop eating foods that weigh you down, and replace them with fresh organic fruits and vegetables, a lighter feeling is bound to occur. Your body naturally replenishes the energy you lose throughout the day with the help of a good, organic diet. I highly suggest colon cleanses for my clients, and routinely do them myself, generally every 6-9 weeks, more often when Iam battling any illness or fatigue.
12. Improved sense of over all well-being. A (total) detox takes hard work, dedication and a positive attitude. When you detox, you feel good, and when you feel good, good things happen in all arenas of your life both personal and professional.
Note: Prior making any changes in your diet, please consult with your physician, even if is just temporary. These detox waters are informational and not intended to be used for weight management, cure or treat any ailments. It is important that you try to accomplish your caloric intake up to normal standards.
Cucumber Lemon Detox Water
The lemon in this water recipe is great for boosting your immune system and cleaning out harmful toxins. Cucumber is an anti-inflammatory and helps you to stay hydrated. Mint sweetens your drink without adding sugar
and aids in digestion.
To make this one
8 cups of water
medium cucumber (wedged or sliced)
whole lemon (wedged or sliced)
Ten mint leaves (or however many you prefer).
Mix in a large pitcher and allow it to steep in the fridge overnight. This is a really tasty drink and one that offers many wonderful detoxing benefits
Peppermint Grapefruit Detox Water
This detox water has ingredients that will clean out your kidneys, eliminate bloating and help you to enjoy much healthier skin. It also aids in digestion.
1⁄2 gallon of purified water
1⁄2 lemon sliced, 1⁄2 lime sliced
1⁄2 grapefruit sliced ( substitute or add oranges if you want)1
cup of sliced cucumber with peels
1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger and a handful of fresh peppermint leaves.
Add all of the ingredients into a pitcher and cover with ice. Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours before serving and discard after 24 hours as the citrus fruits tend to get a little mushy.
Refresh Me Lemon Detox Water
1 gallon of pure water (mineral, or filtered)
1 whole organic lemon, sliced, seeds removed
1⁄2 cucumber, sliced
10 mint leaves, organic if possible
2 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled (optional)
Refrigerate for 12 hours
12 oz of Water
1-2 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar (I prefer the Braggs brand)
1 Tablespoon fresh Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon sweetener (I use a Stevia Raw Sugar packet)
Half of an apple (sliced)
Flush The Flab Detox Water
1⁄2 gallon spring water
1⁄2 grapefruit, sliced
1⁄2 cucumber, sliced
2-3 mint leaves
1⁄2 lemon, sliced
1⁄2 lime, sliced
Combine all ingredients in a pitcher.
Allow the ingredients to chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before serving. Drink throughout the day or discard after 24 hours.
Stress Relieving Detox Water
Imagine clearing out those harmful toxins and relieving stress at the same time. This detox water recipe includes pineapple and basil. Pineapple has bromelain that cleanses the bloodstream and breaks down harmful enzymes so that they can be flushed from your body. Basil fights free radicals and is an excellent source of magnesium so it’s really good for your heart. Using spring or filtered water, mix together in a pitcher five strawberries, about 1⁄2 cup of chunked pineapple, 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, four or five fresh basil leaves and some ice. Allow it to steep in the fridge for at least an hour and enjoy.
To find out how to cleanse your Mind, Body, Home and Soul contact Becca Tebon www.BeccaTebon.com & follow via social media: @BeccaTebonFIT